By now, it should be apparent that construction costs for a high performance building are not significantly high than “traditional” construction. True, documentation associated with LEED can increase costs, however, LEED is not required, or even recommended for everyone.
That said, what about existing buildings? What project provide the highest return on investment?
Typcially the highest ROI for sustainability initiatives can be achieved through;
1. better utilization of space (occupancy, space type, time …)
2. modification of user behaviors
3. automation (lighting and water controls, HVAC, energy management system(s), occupancy sensors)
4. HVAC (automation, retro-fit)
5. exterior shell improvements (window films, windows, weather sealing)
6. Lighting (high/higher efficiency lighting)
7. Power filtering and power distrbution systems