Cloud computing is a more than catalyst for change, it is a DISRUPTIVE TECHNOLOGY. Cloud computing will drive significantly enhanced productivity within the Architecture, Engineering, Construction and Facility Management Sectors by enabling the consistent deployment of integrated project delivery methods. Owners, Contractors, Architects, Engineers and stakeholders of the built environment will benefit if they focus upon CHANGE MANAGEMENT and how to best leverage cloud computing.
- Collaboration – True cloud computing (vs. cloud-washing, or simply posting legacy application to the cloud) lets users work concurrently on projects in real-time (milliseconds)… virtually anyone, anywhere, anytime. Multi-language and mult-currency, etc. can easily be implemented.
- Security – Information is NEVER deleted. This is potentially the best form of security available. “Who” does “What” and “When” is always tracked and changes can be “rolled back” at any time by authorized administrators. Furthermore, only changes are transmitted vs. full data sets and even these are encrypted.
- IP Protection – Despite all the “hype” to the contrary, it is YOU, the user who determines how, when, and where to publish data. For example, you can maintain information in your private area, publish as read only to specified members within a private cloud…or publish to all members in a private cloud, or publish information to all members in public cloud and enable rights to use and modify data.
- Visualization - Despite the pervasive misunderstanding of BIM and unfortunate focus upon 3D visualization, DATA visualization and the associated development and implementation of the colloborative life-cycle management of built environment are the benefits provided by BIM. Cloud computing will accelerate data visualization and transparency among all stakeholders of physical infrastructure and promote performance-based processes.
- Agility – Our work and natural environments are changing at an accelerated pace. Rapid deployment, monitoring, and the associated modification of processes and policies is becoming increasingly important. Cloud computing deploys process faster than any other method currently available. There is no longer a need to rely upon internal “IT” for deployment or applications specific changes.
- Mobility – It is neither cost effective, nor efficient to have everyone working in offices or specified work settings. Resources need to be tapped from multiple locations enabling use of “the best of the best”, and resources with localized resources and/or capabilities. Cloud computing allows direct, transparent access to local resources while also communicating centralized processes and procedures.
- Centralization of Information – While information can be scattered among several data centers, it also can be instantly consolidated to provide global management in support of an organization’s mission as well as associated, efficient local action.
- Business Continuity – True, Internet access is required, however, would you rather store your information at your location and risk catastrophic failure, or have your information at multiple locations designed with redundancy, power backup, etc.?
BIG DATA and EFFICIENT CONSTRUCTION METHODS (Integrated Project Delivery, Job Order Contracting), CLOUD COMPUTING, and BIM are here to stay, are you ready?
via http://www.4Clicks.com – Premier cost estimating and efficient project delivery software for JOC, SABER, IDIQ, SATOC, MATOC, MACC, POCA, BOA, …